Sunday 6 January 2019

Review: Murder by the Book: A Sensational Chapter in Victorian Crime

Murder by the Book: A Sensational Chapter in Victorian Crime Murder by the Book: A Sensational Chapter in Victorian Crime by Claire Harman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

In exchange for a fair review I received a copy of this book from NetGalley

On the morning of the 6th May, 1840, Lord William Russell was found murdered in his bed in a seemingly safe, Mayfair street by his servants.

The author goes into great detail about the police investigation and the subtenant trial of Lord William Russell's Swiss valet ,which makes for interesting reading. As well as looking at the novel about Jack Sheppard which was popular at the time. It was also at one time the reason he give for killing his master saying in a statement it had influenced his decision to kill his master.

But I was sadly disappointed the book was well written towards the end I felt the book was padded out with paragraphs on the writer's Dickens and Thackeray which made fell like I was reading a different book.However this is only my opinion and someone other then myself my find this interesting.

Over all a well written and thoroughly researched book .

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment