Friday 29 June 2018

Review: The Boss of Bethnal Green, Joseph Merceron the Godfather of Regency London

The Boss of Bethnal Green, Joseph Merceron the Godfather of Regency London The Boss of Bethnal Green, Joseph Merceron the Godfather of Regency London by Julian Woodford
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I had never heard of Joseph Merceon until I came across this book in a bookshop and it turned out to be a very enjoyable and interesting read 

Joseph Merceon was born above a pawnbrokers in Brick Lane London in the year 1764. In the insuring years he would rise to control the whole of Bethnal Green through intimidation bribery,fraud and without a single feeling of compassion for others including his own family. I can honestly say I find Joseph Merceon to be a truly rotten individual and makes Scrooge like a pussycat. 

The book is clearly written and you can tell that the life Joseph Merceon has been thoroughly researched by the author. The book is very informative and would it be of great interest to anybody interested in the history of London overall I'd say definitely a five star read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment